Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When You Get Limes ; You?

About four years ago I wanted a lemon tree real bad. I had just chain sawed a sixteen foot ficus tree out of my bedroom that had out grown its 36" pot. You have no idea how big a 36" pot is. Completely out of the question to re pot any bigger. I was tired of raking my carpet of leaves every morning so down it came. B.C. and I covered the room with canvas drop cloths and lowered this baby with a series of ropes. Then came the chain saw, I could not listen, I could not see this, I felt like crying all day. After: what a bare room, I missed that tree, what could replace it. Well I had just finished reading Under The Tuscan Sun and Frances Mayes had lemon trees that she moved out side each spring. That's It! I could grow a lemon tree in my greenhouse like bedroom. I could just see myself picking lemons to make Lemon Cello. Chicken Picata, lemon linguine, the possibilities were endless. So excited.... My special number two child Michael got wind of this and presented me on my birthday with a mayers lemon tree. Dreams do come true. So I nursed this tree through blossom drop, white fly, and scale ( mind you I kept the treatments completely organic often picking bugs off by hand) Finally after four years I had fruit. I waited patiently for my lemons to ripen and turn yellow. Weeks went by, they kept getting bigger but stayed green. I kept waiting and waiting thinking lemons will ripen to yellow. Well finally I cut one opened smelled it and screamed "It's a lime #*^^@#*&^& ! "

Next Chapter:
B.C. was making Bloody Marys last night for cocktails and we had no limes, I bet I can help.......

Moral:
When you get limes you make Bloody Marys

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...