Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

That's The Spirt



Saturday I unwillingly pulled a few boxes of Christmas decorations down from the attic. I was just not in the spirit to start . What is wrong with me? I am the one who used to put up 13 themed trees, drag my kids to yard sales looking for old ornaments , this is my season. I called my sister Dotty, ( what I always do when procrastinating) Do you feel the same way I asked? Is it because I am getting older or is the trend not to collect anymore? Dotty, who has a beautiful home furnishing shop just loaded with Christmas said we have too much and are on overload. Just push through she advised and you will see the colored lights. I have a pretty extensive collection of glass ornaments , a few antique German Kugel, lots of shiny brite from the 40's and 50's and boxes of pre war ornaments. I always imagine who owned these before, was this a new bride who's husband was off at war. Did a mother save her pennies to purchase this box from Woolworth's for her children. Was this a couples first ornament? Many of my glass treasures are displayed on evergreen swags and by the time I'm done, I am in tears with the memories I have created. But this year I realized- this is what decorating means. I remember in college I did a work study program with John Wanamaker's and ran there Secret Santa shop, B.C. was my boss and I worked so hard no wonder he married me. As an executive trainee I ran Trim the Tree and purchased many beautiful ornaments in hopes of a home and children someday. The first year in my new home and my 14 foot tree fell over breaking many treasures, my Dad came to the rescue and my 9 month pregnant sister ran over and bought me ornaments from her tree. Her daughter was born the next day. The year Michael crushed anything within his reach I still have a tiger ornament without a tail, or when Christine announced on Christmas eve that Santa was leaving her REAL reindeer bells ( I never liked that leather belt anyway). With each decoration in place I began to feel that holiday rush, remembering those past wonderful family moments. I am not taking Christ out of Christmas because I truly believe whoever your God is he would want this precious feeling of love to exist. Yes Dotty, I am seeing the colored lights!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason this post brought tears to my eyes. Maybe is all the wonderful Christmas memories Michael and I had growing up because of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...