Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Back From Monhegan Island

This is the door I walked through.

This is the view I saw.
All-right now, I think I can be content for two weeks!
Our house Little Frost was charming. It makes me love using stuff in decorating. I think this level of comfort can only come from layers of books, loved objects, mementos, and time worn furniture. We felt right at home. I wanted to explore every nook and crannies of this house and imagine what the owners were like. It inspired me to do several watercolors and interior sketches of the home, also lots of pictures for studio paintings later. I understand, and like contemporary clean style and often wonder if it would be freeing for me. But this is the look I am meant for.





Of course by the end of the week we did a little rearranging of of the shelves and mantle. Just can't stop working.


Plain simple and beautiful.



The paint on the old doors was amazing, just layers of living shinning through.

The sunsets were magnificent, we could have painted at the house all week and never ran out of material.
The dinners were pretty good too.
Every where you look on Monhegan there is a painting. This is a Wyeth home.
Most houses have no electricity or limited solar power, so forget the hair and clothes dryers. I think this wash day shot will turn into a fine painting.
The second week we said goodbye to Little Frost and moved on to -
This view!!!!!
The Hudson Mason house was considerably smaller, and far more rustic. But charmed us and inspired us just as much.
It was nestled down a pretty path, away from others.





It was meticulous and clean with little notes of comfort from the owners.
This is truly my cabin in the woods.



There were beautiful paintings tacked up between the studs. I think the original owner was an artist named Poole, who was and early painter on Monhegan.

Good by Monhegan
Good by little house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...