Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

When I Grow Up

This is the sketch for a mural over a indoor pool. I'm going for the look of the photo below but with more color, and including the red hills of Sedona. There will be three water falls at the base of the mural emptying into the pool.
I am never neat when painting.
Day two of the project. Only a simple outline of the shapes in color.
I really like putting on my music and painting all day. It's a different kind of work.
Day one, and I'll keep you posted.

Last week I was in designer charade, buying furniture, attending cocktail parties and dressing chic. This week I am wearing ripped jeans, climbing scaffolding and painting a 35 foot mural of a sunrise over Sedona. What do I want to be when I grow up?
I read a blog from Elements of Style ( worth looking at ) by Erin Gates last Friday. She spoke of hurdling towards 30 and not knowing what she wanted to be when she grew up. Well Erin I'm pushing 60 ( only 57 ) and I don't have a clue what to be. Last year I decided to pursue my art. I entered five shows and won four. I still can't call myself an artist. I have a successful design business but feel the need to complete yet another show house . Now I'm writing a blog !!!!! I'm the kid who never learned to diagram a sentence. When Sister was teaching English I was trying to master saying the Hail Mary backwards in under thirty seconds. You were right Erin when you say we need to be kinder to ourselves and I will. I do accept all my blessings but at the same time I am accepting who I am. I like a challenge and will probably never sit still. Learning and accomplishing new things makes me feel good. Yes I envy you and all the other young women who have successful blogs ( are there any old blogger's out there) but that keeps me on my toes. Who knows maybe I'll write children's books when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...