OK being 100% honest, these lemon bars are so good, I kept eating one every time I passed the fridge.
Light Lemon Bars (makes 16 servings, 100 calories per bar)
Nonstick Cooking Spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
2/3 cup granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons
1/2 stick cold cutter cut into 1/2 include cubes (no paster cutter just pinch and run the mix between your fingers and thumbs until you have coarse crumbs the size of peas)
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon of water
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- Coat an 8x8x2 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup of flour and 3 tablespoons of sugar, cut in butter until crumbly. Pat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in the same bowl, combine the egg and egg white and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add remaining sugar and flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of water and baking powder. Beat on medium for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour mixture over baked layer in pan. Bake 20-25 mins more or until the edges are set. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over top and cut into 16 bars. Store in refrigerator.
**This recipe is taken from Fitness Magazine July/August 2010 issue
This is one of my favorite healthy tricks! I know whole grain rice is a great healthy option but when you are looking for a lower calorie substitute just pick up a head of cauliflower.
1 head of cauliflower
- Grate one head of cauliflower using a cheese grater or a food processor (yes it can be messy)
- place shavings in a microwave bowl and cook in the microwave for 6 minutes
THAT'S IT!!! Just fluff and you have a perfect side dish. Great mixed with sauteed vegetables or with a stir fry dish.