Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Monhegan Here I come

This is where the ferry docks, I am getting chills just thinking about it.

Fish beach a great subject to paint.

Sometimes the fog rolls in, that water is about 50 degrees !!!
The light house and a museum there is also an art gallery and museum. Many famous artist painted here- Rockwell Kent, N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, James browning, James Fitzgerald just to name a few.
There are views everywhere.

Our home away from home-The Field House. Its not fancy, but it's on the highest point on the Island so the view in insane. When we first get there the hike up the hill is very difficult, we stop and rest half way. By the end of the week we are all a little healthier and zip right up.
Lobsters for 11.00 (every night girls?)
Cathedral Woods, you see fairy houses tucked in among the trails. I hope to see a fairy this year.


I grabbed the new August issue of Martha Stewart Living to read tonight , glanced at the cover, and read- Summer Simplified. Just what I want , a more carefree life, no more rushing, time to do what I want. I love you Martha. Then I opened it up %&#%!!!*&^ WHAT.... How to grow a thriving tropical garden anywhere ? Collecting swizzle sticks ? Dip Dyeing my own shirts ? Dip Dying my own candles ?? Amass a collection of glass jars ? Cooking, biking, flower arranging and on and on. Not what I was looking for. But I do know what to do to simplify summer - a trip to Monhegan Island. I leave tomorrow for a week of bliss, along with my sister and three friends. We paint every day, drink every night and eat lobster. Monhegan is a small Island about 10 miles off the coast of Maine. There are no cars and only nice people. The Island works its magic on everyone who visits. There are Fairy Houses in Cathedral Woods, trails to hike on, and cliffs with views to stop your heart. For more than 100 years it has been a summer haven for artist. It is truly a unhurried place.
I have a few blogs in store for you, and several guest bloggers for next week. You will be viewing The Dog days of Summer by a very talented young photographer, How to design and make a table runner, and the introduction of a new blog High Heels 'n' Sneakers. So I am not being completely selfish, just resting up and coming home with lots of new paintings and stories to show and tell. See you on the 26th. Mikie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...